Chatham Turkey Trot (MA)
The Chatham Turkey Trot was started in 2005 by Mary Parsons and Linda Redding. It was inspired by the We Gather Together Run-Walk held in Sandwich each year on Thanksgiving day, and gave people on the lower cape a way to give back on Thanksgiving. The Lower Cape Outreach Council has always been the beneficiary of the proceeds from the Chatham Turkey Trot, which has gotten bigger each year. Mary and Linda were honored to receive the LCOC’s Hope Award in 2009 which honors people who have made a difference in the lives of the people of the lower Cape. The support from local businesses sponsoring the Chatham Turkey Trot, and donating raffle items has been outstanding each and every year.
2016 Chatham Turkey Trot facts:
- Over 2,600 participants and were able to give the Lower Cape Outreach Council a check for $40,000
- Approximately 1,200 bags of groceries!
2015 Chatham Turkey Trot facts:
- 2,662 walkers & runners.
- Donated over $25,000 to the Lower Cape Outreach Council and dropped off a 30 foot box truck more than 3/4 full of groceries to the LCOC.
2014 Chatham Turkey Trot facts:
- 1,923 registered walkers
- $23,000 & 1,150 bags of groceries were donated to the Lower Cape Outreach Council
2013 Chatham Turkey Trot facts:
- more than 1,500 participants
- more than $22,000 donated to Lower Cape Outreach Council
- We also had a huge truck of food!